Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Two recent addictions. First of them is... believe-it-or-not... Carcassonne. Played with my Android tablet. And, actually, I really suck in this game :) 18 wins from what... 100+ plays (all 4-players, vs AI). But it's still fun - even when playing casually like I do, not seeking for strategy optimization and such. Cheap to buy, quick to play, nice UI - what else would you like to get. Perfect, when you have 5 minutes to spare.

And another one is Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Started with core set and first mission was close to great success. Second one... (yeah, with the hill troll)... instead of "hit and run" tactic there is "get hit and die" tactic instead. /Solo or not, here they come, you can't hide... gonna find us and take it quickly./ If we manage to kill the troll, location gives us a finger (with threat 5 or something) or some nasty event. If we leave the troll alone... he won't be alone. He'll be with Beastmaster. Or with another troll... stomp-stomp-stomp. So, for beating this level I need correct cards in exact order both in encounter and hero draw decks.Or start with deckbuilding :) (Have played core sets so far.)

In my neverending quest to try out Wallace's different designs we had this time Tempus on table. And I must say it is truly fast to play light-civ. With 3 players 90 minutes. This is one of those games where setup is important... and also first couple of turns. But not essential - despite of my setup tile layout (Woohoo, let there be a lake. Just because I can!) and token placement (These look like friendly mountains. Let's settle there, we'll find out later if we have anything to eat) I managed to win the game by 1 point, thanks to the attack against city with my last action during last turn of game. The mechanics are very simple but I wouldn't say this is a bad game... it's just a civ-game so short that it needs some evaluation re-adjustment.

And a bit as well from the fancy life of unknown game designer. You know already, who I am talking about, right? Smart Investor was finally released to blind test this weekend. Yay. Let's see what the results will be. I even created a VASSAL module (with butt-ugly graphics, but hey! that's what the prototypes are) so all the lonely players (who like stock trading games) can PBEM this prototype all day long. If you are interested then ask nicely and I'll provide the link. Or just check the BGG forums. No reason to be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment