Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Finally managed to complete the "Journey down the Anduin" quest in LOTR LCG, with two decks - Leadership monosphere (definition learned from BGG) and Tactics+Lore. First try with this combo was failure, as usual, mainly due to two Hill Trolls hanging around together... but second try was more successful. I'd even say that great success it was. I'm not going to spoil how it was achieved... but it was memorable. Now I'd like to try the third quest as well from core set... this one has difficulty level 7 (not some lousy 4). Woohoo. And then to the Hobbit quests. Perhaps I should read the book first for better thematic experience. Anyway, 18 plays of LOTR already... I'd say it was good investment. Not many games from my collection reach this amount unfortunately. (Just checked - 11 out of 106)

And Combat Commander: Europe, what else. After 20 plays I raised my rating from 9 to 10. I just love this game. Yesterday we played "Paralyzed from the West Down" with me as Axis (defender). Americans tried to break through their left wing but luckily (or should I call it luck, Germans made their setup first and Americans definitely should've seen it coming) there were several squads with light MG-s, leader and a weapon team with heavy MG. When combining that firepower with some defender specific wire-placing actions - it was pretty devastating for Allies.

Tried yesterday also something new - Autokrator from Diachron Games. This one left me with some mixed feelings - it had some quite interesting mechanics incorporated (selecting combat venue/terrain, for example) but at the same time it had considerable downtime (playing with 4 players) and even at the end it was unclear about what could be the possible benefits of some actions. Also the distribution of battle cards (troops) was interesting - but it could also lead to massive AP when you start to think about all the possible outcomes - so it was all the same as selecting those cards at random :)

And no selfish ads this time about my ongoing/upcoming games and projects. There will be time for that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment