Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summer. An excellent opportunity for spending more time outdoors... which is the main cause of having less time to play board games. Nevertheless, there have been several games been played during the time since my last update.

Isla Dorada gave me quite a strange impression after my first play. On the one hand I'd like to try it definitely once more as the mechanics were pretty interesting... but on the other, some of the event cards were too powerful, creating randomness in favour of the card holder. Don't know what to think about it.

Dixit with several 7-y old kids was an interesting experience - there was much more creativity and joy than with any "hardcore" player I've played it :)

Only during last play of A Few Acres of Snow I noticed that I've mis-interpreted some of the rules, so the raids/ambushes should be a lot harder to be successful than we originally played. First game I won as French, second lost (to a different opponent) as British by narrow margin. It was my first play as British and so I wasn't aware that their strategy should be a bit different from playing as French.

Khronos and Thebes are games that don't hit the table very often, unfortunately. Played both as 2p games and they - especially Khronos - were really fast to play and enjoyable. I like the time-travelling theme of Khronos and Thebes has nice light indianajones-y feeling when searching for artifacts.

Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage was game I had wanted to play for a long time... but at the end it was the biggest disappointment of this year. You can't judge the game only by it's rating at BGG. I'm pretty sure I played something wrong with Hannibal, but during second turn he was killed in battle. From that point on, the game was just dragging towards inevitable with winner being clear and me having no chance. I'm not very keen about the battle mechanics as well, partly due to fact I lost all (yes, all of them) battles. Meh of the year.

Drako is small and simple wargamish game for two - three dwarves vs dragon. Nothing to say more :)

Gears of War: The Board Game - the co-op I've wanted to play also for a long time. Unlike Hannibal, this game I liked a lot. We played first mission with 2 players and it left pretty good impression - plenty of choices and decisions, firefights, monsters. Definitely would want to play it more. More. More! :)

In other news: No Thanks, Incan Gold, Kingdom Builder+Nomads

No comments:

Post a Comment