Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Friend of mine organized small Bootcamp during last weekend, so only wargames were played there. First we started with my personal favourite: Combat Commander + Mediterranean. I lost almost all melees there and opponent refused to advance (I wonder why) after discovering to what wing I had my heavy MG's hidden. I was defending as Germans and lost finally as was not able to push back the waves of Romanians. First I was excited to play as defender but later I discovered there were only quite a few defender-special cards. Good game, anyway.

Pocket Battles: Celts vs Romans then. Small and fast game and pretty nice one, too. Set up armies and then attack. First round was bloody and furious, managed to win the game after first attack of second round :) I'd say that the virtue of this game is in it's shortness. Wargame filler, I'd even say.

Sekigahara. My first game of this (some months ago) was a failure, as I rushed into battle with the leader I was supposed to keep safe at any cost (insta-win to opponent). This time I picked my battles, got majority on one wing and then moved slowly towards enemy's main castle. After defeating first point of resistance overran small army group - and to my big surprise it contained their major leader. Yay!

Next day started with No Retreat. I played as Germans and therefore had a blast with my panzers driving towards Moscow and southern troops having fun near Sevastopol. And then autumn started. And winter. Long winter. With spring turning also into winter :) What this meant was that my panzers were next to Moscow but were not able to retreat or attack either, so they just built the defence and waited for summer. Luckily southern front was able to break through the enemy lines (as majority of Russian troops were defending Moscow) and conquer Sevastopol plus several other smaller cities. As a result of this I gathered enough victory points to achieve victory, without conquering Moscow.

After that it was time for "Game of the weekend" - Virgin Queen. I knew nothing about it, except it was based on Here I Stand (I hadn't played). Sides were selected randomly and I got to play as Ottomans. They had quite straightforward strategy, as I found out quite soon - as having no interest in catholic-protestant power struggle nor political power play, they just raised the armies and conquered everything they could. And - it proved to be succesful as after 5 hrs of play and conquering Madrid with Ottomans I was declared as winner :) The beauty of this win was the fortunate flow of events: Ottomans were always first in turn order, so my troops in Spain were able to start the siege of Madrid with no problems - but the siege was always solved only during your next turn. Luckily I had in my hand event card "Gregorian calender" that allowed one power to make his move anytime he wanted - even immediately after his own original move. So I started siege, declared the use of gregorian calender - and successfully conquered Madrid.

God's Playground. This game we played even twice. First time was late Saturday night (with finishing appr. 2AM) and after that we discussed about several possibilities and strategies for about hour more... so it was natural to have another blast at Sunday morning. Excellent game with plenty of possibilities - I really wonder how did it happen that I had no information about this game earlier at all....

Then it was time for something lighter, so we choose Nexus Ops. I had played it only once several years ago and had not very good memories about it... but this time the mechanics felt pretty good. Simple movement with enforced battles and increasing victory conditions. Nice one.

And for the end, another of my high-rated favourites - not especially wargame, though, but more like economy-war game, i.e. Brass. You can see that Wallace was most played designer this weekend :) Nobody had played it for a year or so, but the feeling was good... remembering the combinations, setting yourself to have 4 actions in a row etc etc. Brilliant game, worth even just for an experience. With 3 players it went a bit more than 2 hours.

Oh, and of course we played my game - Making Profit: The Boardgame (received couple of samples at Friday) - do I have to say that it's a good game? :) Originally I was planning to have one game and listen to the comments then... but it ended in 6-7 plays in a row. Surprisingly good feedback - and this game can be preordered now as well :)

1 comment:

  1. Olen Mavis Calos, esindaja Aiicco kindlustus plc, anname välja laenu individuaalsed erinevused usalduse ja au. anname laenu intressimääraga 2%. kui olete huvitatud võtke meiega ühendust selle ettevõtte e-post: (maviscalos_laen_laenamine@outlook.com) nüüd jätkata oma laenu üleminekudokumendi ok. kui teil on vaja laenu, et luua ettevõtte või kooli te olete väga teretulnud Aiicco kindlustus plc. Võite meiega ühendust võtta ka selle e-post: (amaah.credit.offer@gmail.com). saame üle kanda summa, mida taotletakse enne nädalas.

    ReplyDelete