Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Besides the boardgames, sometimes it's good to try something different for variety. Hattrick, for example - an online football (soccer, eh) team management game. It's simple enough (you don't need to worry at level "where should my left footed forward or right footed defender play") but allows also tactical/strategical planning and skill management, if you want that. If not, you can just put your team together and have fun - almost like I do :) Actually I played this game first during 2002-2007 but lost motivation then and team was suspended after some time. Now I registered again and managed to win my division on 6th (lowest) league, therefore moving higher into 5th.

Totally another area is World of Tanks. Like a friend of mine said: "Tanks - you can't go wrong with them". In theory it's team play with tanks, but in practice you're pretty much on your own. In random battles (I only play them as I'm not in any clan) the goal is simple - each side has 15 tanks and your side win by capturing their base or killing all enemies. After the battle, based on your inflicted damage, capture points, etc etc you get experience and money. With experience you can research new tanks/equipment, with money you buy them. Oh, and if you get killed/damaged during battle you have to pay the repair cost - so especially in higher tier battles (with more advanced=costly tanks) the result is not always positive. Despite of reaching tier 7 (out of 10) with some tanks I admit I'm still pretty much on n00b level there.

And of course 18xx PBEM - to scratch my that itch. Thanks to playing by e-mail I've had a chance to try out lots of different 18xx titles and chat with people with similar hobby - from Finland to Poland to Portugal. Actually I'm even participating in "5 Nations 1830 Tournament" at the moment - representing the Finnish team as legionnaire - and it's pretty much fun. My group consists of people from Quebec, Rome, San Diego and London - pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment