Wednesday, May 9, 2012

God's Playground. I suppose it's one of the most complex games Martin Wallace has made, but it's also one of the few titles available, designed specifically for 3 players. No more, no less. Although I'm quite a fan of Wallace's games, I hadn't heard about it until yesterday... but oh boy, what a ride it was! Add together classical eurogame, wargame and co-op elements, shake well, serve with olives. 3 hardcore 18xx/wargame players had to agree yesterday who will defend Poland when each of the regions will give victory points to some players more than others... but if nobody defends practically everybody loses. Anyway, at the end my strategy of faith and belief was victorious as I was building Jesuit schools all over the lands and left the fighting to other players - and securing my estates in region where others had significant points to be had as well. Definitely would like to try this game again, despite of bad stuff that happened from the beginning from Turn 1 already. But as Wallace says in rules about this game - "stuff happens to you and you just have to live with it. If you feel like everything is going wrong and that you a fighting a losing battle then you are experiencing what Poland had to go through."

Another game I played was Lübeck - I suppose it's unknown to most players as we're the only one in region selling that. It has quite decent gameplay hidden under ugly design and clumsy components... but it plays fast and has simple rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment