Monday, December 16, 2013

Aaaaaaaaand, we're back.

COIN has been the magical word here lately, with Andean Abyss and Cuba Libre sharing similar gameplay but being totally different beasts. I'm not even sure if they are 'proper' wargames as there are basically no battles but - hey! - they're fun to play! Actually I haven't played the full game (i.e. with 4 players) of Cuba Libre yet, just a couple of solos and one 2p game - but even based on those I already like it. This is also a game that restored my faith to playing solo - so far I thought that soloing is (mainly) analytical math/probability exercise but CL proved that it could be fun as well. I have played two 4-player games of Andean Abyss and I believe this gives me enough experience to declare this game completely utterly broken: ARC has 100% win ratio. And yes, it's sore loser speaking :)

Managed to try out Nations, as well. It is often referred as "TTA light" but in my opinion it isn't. As a friend described - "Nations and TTA are like Brass and Age of Industry - they are similar in theme but still with different gameplay". I totally agree and I like this game. I also understand why it is described as 'the game that hates you from the beginning' - but I wouldn't call it 'hating' but 'decisions' instead :)

Trains and Stations, on the other hand, is a game I don't get. I have played it only once but the feeling was... meh. Usually I like innovative mechanics but this one... quarriors meets track building... well... there shouldn't be dice in a proper train game! Yes. I said it out :)

I bought second game from Discworld series - The Witches - from Essen already and now have several times played it as well. First it seemed like a bit disappointment as "the lightest game evar" but after using advanced rules it's quite proper push-your-luck game. So far it keeps going better and better more I play it. Haven't tried the coop version yet.

And lets finish this post also with wargaming - Musket and Pike Series. I was happy to try out one of the scenarios from Under the Lily Banners - and was completely hooked, as a result. It has quite logical (after you manage to get through the rules) gameplay with interesting command chain and wing activation - and lots of decision. At least in my opinion it simulates well the battles of this era (although I haven't researched how they might've been fought) and gives players a multitude of decisions. Normally (i.e. with other games) when you have some über-strong unit opposed by several lightish units, you just keep crushing them one-by-one. But no, not in this game - because you'll never know when your cavalry feels like it's enough fighting for a day and better to have some looting instead :) Excellent series, high on my recommendations list.

1 comment:

  1. Olen Mavis Calos, esindaja Aiicco kindlustus plc, anname välja laenu individuaalsed erinevused usalduse ja au. anname laenu intressimääraga 2%. kui olete huvitatud võtke meiega ühendust selle ettevõtte e-post: (maviscalos_laen_laenamine@outlook.com) nüüd jätkata oma laenu üleminekudokumendi ok. kui teil on vaja laenu, et luua ettevõtte või kooli te olete väga teretulnud Aiicco kindlustus plc. Võite meiega ühendust võtta ka selle e-post: (amaah.credit.offer@gmail.com). saame üle kanda summa, mida taotletakse enne nädalas.

    ReplyDelete